Friday, July 25, 2014

How An Orthopedic Surgeon Philadelphia PA Can Help You

By Paulette Mason

If you have a deformity, disorder or injury that affects the musculoskeletal system, you can see an orthopedic surgeon. Instead of using pain relievers to keep the pain away, you can solve your problem by consulting with this medical professional. By choosing to see an orthopedic surgeon Philadelphia PA dwellers can eliminate the pain that interferes with their lives.

Orthopedic surgeons focus on treating disorders that affect the musculoskeletal system. After getting a bachelors degree, they undergo further extensive training that lasts about eight to nine years. Orthopedists are able to diagnose and treat many types of disorders including deformities, dislocations, fractures, sprains, tumors, traumas, tendon damage and arthritis.

People who have swelling or bruising around certain joints can also seek the assistance of an orthopedist. Similarly, people who have problems with keeping their spinal column straight and those who have chronic discomfort in the joints, tendons or muscles can also benefit from using the services of this professional. Seeking the advice of an orthopedist early is wise especially when one is unsure about what is causing the pain.

Orthopedic surgeons work in hospitals, private clinics and academic medical centers. After consulting with this professional, the treatment you will receive will depend on how intense your pain is and how far the problem you are suffering from has progressed. This physician may carry out a few standard therapies before opting to perform surgery.

Your orthopedist may prescribe medications to diminish discomfort if you have been using anti inflammatory medicines and pain relievers without success. The other treatment option that an orthopedist may use is cortisone therapy. This involves injecting cortisones into the afflicted area. Cortisone therapy is known to be beneficial for patients suffering from arthritis.

An orthopedist may also recommend physical therapy regimens and exercise to reduce stiffness. He or she may also recommend that you use walking aids like canes or splints so that you can get around more easily. If the therapies that an orthopedist recommends do not seem to be effective, he or she can perform surgery. You will be placed under the care of a physician who specializes in a particular area such as hand surgery, ankle and foot surgery or knee surgery.

Orthopedists are capable of realigning joints or fusing together the ends of bones at joints in order to prevent painful movements. You can also visit this professional if you have a minor joint disorder. Your orthopedist may choose to perform an arthroscopy, which is a less invasive surgical procedure meant to rectify shoulder, elbow, hip, knee or wrist damage.

An arthroscopy can also be carried out in order to get rid of loose cartilage or bone, repair torn ligaments, repair or remove a torn meniscus of the knees or reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament of the knee. Since patients are placed under anesthesia when his procedure is being performed, they do not feel anything. After the procedure, it is normal for patients to experience mild soreness or pain. Orthopedists usually prescribe pain medications for them to use.

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment